Sign me up for updates. Sign up now

You are here

Budget Help


Budget Help Page


United Way has developed this page to provide technical assistance to programs submitting grant proposals, particularly small and grassroots organizations who may not have experience submitting a program budget in the past. These guidelines may also be useful for programs and agencies who have not previously applied for United Way funding, or for agencies that plan to create a new program with United Way funding.


Program Budget:

We request programs to submit a program budget to the funding review team, but we do not have a set format in which we require this information.  If your program already has a budget stop here and submit that with your grant proposal - there is no need to create new work for yourself!  If your program is starting from scratch, you can download the following Excel document:


Budget Template in Excel



UWOC Request is the dollar amount you are requesting from United Way in your proposal.  This is an annual amount.

Other UW refers to any United Way funding you receive through designations through our workplace campaigns. It is not the same a grant money you receive from UWOC.

Earned Income is generated by providing services or goods.  Examples could include fees paid by clients (if your agency provides fees on a sliding scale), fundraising sales (such as Girl Scout cookies), renting out space, etc.

In-Kind Donations can be hard to quantify.  They are donations that your program receives through donations that they otherwise would have paid out-of-pocket.  For example, if you planned to rent a bus to transport students to an event but the rental company let you rent for free or at a discounted price, you value the in-kind donation by how much money you saved.  Frequent in-kind donations are technology, office equipment, meeting space, marketing, etc. Volunteer time counts as in-kind if it is operational (accounting, training, etc), but is not in-kind if the volunteer is providing direct services.  The value of volunteer time is currently $24.14/hr.


Direct Service Personnel includes the wages and benefits of the individuals who do the on-the-ground work with clients.

Grants to Individuals account for money that 'passes' through your organization to clients.  Examples could be the money that way paid out to clients as rent assistance, the portion of the client's fee that was paid for by your agency, tuition scholarships to students, etc.

Contract Services are those instances in which you pay another agency or company for services.  Common examples are consultants, researchers, legal and accounting services, or office equipment.

Program Supplies are those supplies needed by the program to be run, such as books, art supplies, sports equipment, etc. that are used by program participants and staff.

Advertising and Promotions can include the cost of newspaper listings, billboards, radio spots, and TV commercials.

Office Expenses are those supplies such as paper, pens, paper clips, and so on. Often, these are not purchased by the program specifically, but by the agency.  Your program's office expenses may be calculated as a certain percentage of your agency's office expenses, as long as the organizational and program budget line up. Don't forget to include utilities!

Information Technology can include software subscriptions, technology purchases, and 

Travel/Mileage is the amount reimbursed to employees for travel outside of their normal commute, the current rate is 54.5¢/mile.  It can also cover the costs of hotels, car rental, fuel for rental vehicles, and airplane tickets.

Administration/Overhead are expenses for your overall operations and management - for example, costs of Board of Director meetings and centralized services such as office management and human resources. 



Other Attachments We Require


IRS Determination Letter:

Is a letter from the IRS that determines your tax status.  For most funded program partners, it acts as proof that your agency acts as a non-profit.  For very few partners, it will demonstrate to us that your agency is a faith-based organization or branch of government. If your nonprofit has misplaced your IRS determination letter, you can get a copy by calling the IRS at 1-877-829-5500 and give them your agency's name and Employer Identification Number (EIN).

Agency's who do not yet have 501(c)(3) status are encouraged to apply to United Way funding as long as they have a designated fiscal sponsor.  If this applies to you, please contact us at 507-287-2000.


Most Recent Audited Financial Statements:

United Way of Olmsted County policy requires that for partners and prospective partners that are required by state law to conduct an independently prepared financial audit annually (all those with annual revenues greater than $750,000), the most current audit available will be on file with United Way of Olmsted County (UWOC) at all times.

All other partners and prospective partners (those with annual revenues less than $750,000) must submit and maintain on file with UWOC, a current financial audit, independently prepared by an outside firm and completed within the past three program agency fiscal periods.  For each year between audits, partners must submit to UWOC a financial compilation that is in GAAP format.  For purposes of this proposal process,  at minimum, a compilation will need to be on-file with United Way prior to June 30, 2019 (with this application, if available) and a completed audit must be submitted no later than June 30, 2020.