Congratulations 2019 VLCS Recipients!
The 2019 Varsity Letter in Community Service recipients provided a total of 1,107 hours of community service in one year. Due to the postponement of our annual Celebration of Caring and Giving event, we couldn’t recognize their accomplishment as originally planned. Instead, we are showcasing their commitment virtually through a 3.5 minute recognition video. Congratulations, student leaders!
What is Varsity Letter in Community Service?
Through the Varsity Letter in Community Service (VLCS) program, United Way of Olmsted County partners with Olmsted County high schools to recognize and reward students for their volunteer efforts in the community. High school students who volunteer 100 hours in one year can earn their school varsity letter, the same as those earned in academics, arts, athletics, etc. With 52 weeks in a year, that is equivalent to about 2 hours per week.
Where to Volunteer
United Way's mission is to unite people and resources to improve people's lives in our community. We fight for the education, health, and financial stability of every individual, and encourage students to primarily serve in those three impact areas. We also recognize that students are already involved in community service clubs and initiatives through their high schools. To encourage a balance in activities, students must perform at least one school-related activity and serve at least 40 hours of non-school related volunteering such as supporting a local nonprofit (501c3) or civic service agency.
All supplemental materials including Requirments & Guidelines, Service Log Sheets, Checklists and Verification Forms are included in application form.
- October 2020 - September 2021 Student Application - Microsoft Word Version
- October 2020 - September 2021 Student Application - PDF Version
- Hour Verification Form - A copy of this form must be completed for EACH agency (nonprofit organization, school, or club) for which you have performed service (i.e. Only one form with the total # of hours spent with Key Club is needed).
Important Dates 2020-21
- Hours are for eligible volunteer work from October 1, 2020 - September 30, 2021.
- Application deadline is on or before October 2, 2021.
- You may email, mail, or hand deliver your application to our office at: United Way of Olmsted County, 903 West Center Street, Suite 100, Rochester, MN 55902, Attn: Amy Wilfahrt.
What to Expect After You Apply
- United Way of Olmsted County will notify you that we have received your application by email on or before October 15, 2021.
- United Way of Olmsted County will notify you by December 31, 2021 if you are receiving this award.
- A student who qualifies for the Varsity Letter in Community Service, will receive a certificate and a community service varsity letter patch if he/she is a first, second, third or fourth year earning the award. These are currently free of charge.
Stewartville High School
Joyce Stacey, United Way Volunteer and Former Educator
United Way of Olmsted County
Amy Wilfahrt, Outreach Coordinator
United Way of Olmsted County
Attn: Varsity Letter in Community Service
903 West Center Street, Suite 100
Rochester, MN 55902