You are not eligible for this program if:
- You are uncomfortable with the drop off method
- If your income in 2020 was more than $72,000
- If you have a small business with: expenses of more than $35,000 or a net loss, employees, inventory, and/or home office
- You operate a daycare business in your home, have farm income, and/or have rental income
- If you have out of state income; exception: IA, WI, and states with no state income tax
- If you have military income (excluding a military pension)
- If you have to file Form 1040-NR as a nonresident alien (including anyone with an F, J, M or Q visa) unless you are married to a U.S. citizen
- If you declared bankruptcy during the tax year
- If you had cancellation of debt other than (s) cancellation of nonbusiness credit card debt or (b) cancellation or forgiveness of debt on their principal residence during the tax year
- If you had rental income (including income from land rental)
- If you had K-1 income for other than interest, dividends, nte short- and long-term capital gains and losses and royalty income
The above is a list of most common out-of-scope items, but it not necessarily exhaustive.
If you are eligible, you can file taxes with an IRS-certified tax professional through your local VITA program. This year our service will be provided through a drop off model laid out below:
- Tax-payer will schedule an appointment (15 minute slot) and will arrive at their site on time and their identification will be verified with the greeter.
- All paperwork will be given to tax preparer and a discussion of when taxpayer can return to pick items will be had.
- Tax preparer will call taxpayer to verify information entered and ask any questions they may have.
- Tax preparer will call when taxes are done being prepared and arrange a pick up time with the taxpayer.
Most taxes will be prepared and filed on the same day as drop off.
Appointments will be taken starting January 18th, 2021. Please call 211 or 800-543-7709 to schedule an appointment.
Appointments can also be made by clicking here.
1. Choose time of day that works for you:
- 125 Live
- Hawthorne Education Center--the Hawthorne building is closed, so appointments will be held at the Salvation Army
- Salvation Army
- Mantorville Senior Center
- Stewartville Center for Active Adults
2. Choose time of appointment and provide identifying information.
3. Pick up or print and review documents to complete and bring to appointment.
****IF you need more than 1 year of taxes filed, make 2 appointments. If you are coming with a family member and not filing jointly, make an appointment for you and one for them.
Preparing for your appointment...
This year there will be a packet of information that must be completed BEFORE your appointment. You can pick up your appointments at the following locations:
If you have an appointment in Rochester, you can pick up a packet at any of the of the following locations...
- 125 Live
- Salvation Army-at the steps to the 1st St NE entrance
- Rochester Public Library-at the pickup windows on 2nd St when the library is open (M-Saturday 10 AM-6 PM at the drop off window near the parking ramp)
If you have an appointment in Stewartville, you can pick up a packet at:
- Center for Active Adults
If you have an appointment at the Mantorville Senior Center, you can pick up a packet at:
- Mantorville Senior Center
- Kasson HyVee
- Dodge County Government Services building in Dodge Center
If you are not planning on picking up a packet at one of the places above before your appiontment, plan to show up 15 minutes before appointment to complete the packet.
For your review, here is what you must bring to your appointment.
- What to Bring (English)
- Liiska Diyaarinta Canshuurta/What to Bring (Somali)
- Lista para la preparación de impuestos/What to Bring (Spanish